The bridge was completed in 1890 and opened by the Prince of Wales on March the 4th ofthe same year. The bridge is now listed alongside international landmarks such as the Taj Mahal, the pyramids and the Vatican City.
The bridge was the first major structure in Britain to be constructed of steel. The bridge spans the Forth between the villages of South Queensferry and North Queensferry and has a total length of 8,296 feet (2,528.7 m). It was the longest single cantilever bridge span in the world until 1917 when the Quebec Bridge in Canada was completed. It continues to be world’s second-longest single cantilever span.
The bridge and its associated railway infrastructure is owned by Network Rail Infrastructure Limited.
It is sometimes referred to as the Forth Rail Bridge to distinguish it from the Forth Road Bridge, though this has never been its official name.
UNESCO inscribed the bridge as a World Heritage Site on 5 July 2015, recognising it as “an extraordinary and impressive milestone in bridge design and construction during the period when railways came to dominate long-distance land travel.” It is the sixth World Heritage Site to be inscribed in Scotland.