Islay and Jura Whisky Tour
4 night tour!
Join on this wonderful Whisky tour of Islay and Jura where you will sample arguably some of the best whiskies in the world. Islay is the Mecca of whisky for many with its rich whisky history and multiple great distilleries. We will also take you past some of the historical highlights that further make Islay an amazing visit
Slàinte Scotland Islay and Jura Whisky Tour Package
This small group tour package from Glasgow allows you to escape the hustle and bustle of city life as we embark on a spectacular journey to an amazing whisky tasting experience.
The Hebridean island of Islay off the West Coast of Scotland is world famous for its salt-flavoured peat malt whisky. With a population of 3000 people and nine (nearly 10) distilleries, you can tell the people on the island take this industry very seriously and it is embedded in the island’s culture. It, therefore, seems very fitting that we at Slàinte Scotland (Gaelic for cheers Scotland), give you the pleasure of joining us on our discovery of Islay’s “Uisge Beatha”, Water of Life.
This tour includes a knowledgeable and experience whisky guide, accommodation, distillery tours, return ferry transport, bottled water and light refreshments in the vehicle. The tour does not include any entrance fees, whisky tours or tastings outside the itinerary, meals, and alcoholic drinks.
Islay and Jura Whisky Tour Highlights
- Laphroaig Distillery
- Lagavulin Distillery
- Ardbeg Distillery
- Bowmore Distillery
- Ardnahoe shop and Islay Ales
- The island of Jura and Jura Distillery
- Bruichladdich and Port Charlotte
- Caol Ila
- Kildalton Cross
- Finlaggan, the ancient home of the Lord of the Isles
Islay and Whisky Tour Itinerary
We will meet you at 266 George Street in Glasgow for a prompt departure at 9 am. 266 George Street is a very central location in Glasgow and where most tours depart from Glasgow. We will start our journey in pursuit of Kennacraig ferry terminal for our voyage to Islay. Enroute we will pass by the town of Inverary and the Kilmartin Glen (highest concentration of standing stones and Cairns as well as the location of the old Dunadd Hillfort).
On this day we have the opportunity to also make short stops at Auchentoshan Distillery and the famous Loch Fyne Whisky Shop. If there are any delays on the roads, this may be restricted or altered.
Stay in Islay Accommodation.
We start the day with the mighty Laphroaig Distillery where you will enjoy the Distillers Wares Tour. This is a brilliant comprehensive tour of the Laphroaig Distillery that ends in the Warehouse where you will sample a number of different casks and bottle your own.
We then continue to Ardbeg for tutored tasting with your guide and lunch.
Our last distillery on Day One is at Lagavulin where you will enjoy the Warehouse Experience. A brilliant tasting experience in the Lagavulin Warehouse.
On this day, we will also visit the nearby Kildaton Cross and ruined Kirk, we will either visit before lunch or after our time at Lagavulin.
Stay in Islay Accommodation.
We will begin the day with a visit to Bowmore Distillery where you will enjoy their Classic Tour and get the chance to see the Warehouse no 1, the oldest whisky warehouse in Scotland.
Afterwards, we will make our way for the Bruichladdich Distillery for a tasting.
We will then continue to Kilchoman Distillery for lunch and to join their classic tour.
Our last stop on the day will be at Machir Bay Beach.
If time allows, we will visit the Islay House Square where you can see the Islay Ales and a few craft shops. This is not always possible if there are delays at any of the distilleries.
Stay in Islay Accommodation.
We will check out of our accommodation early and make our way for Port Askaig where we will take the ferry to Jura and visit their distillery for their classic tour. This is not available in poor weather conditions or in the event of a distillery closure (July and August 2019 the distillery will be closed).
Afterwards, we will return to Islay and visit nearby Caol Ila Distillery for a tasting.
We will finish our whisky distillery experiences at Bunnahabhain Distillery for a tasting.
We will also have a chance on this day to visit Finlaggen where you can see the ruins in the distance of what once was the centre of power for the MacDonalds of the Isles. When we visit will depend on the day in case of any delays – we will be at the mercy of “island time” during our tour.
We will then catch the last ferry to the mainland and overnight in the Tarbert area.
Stay in Tarbert Accommodation.
We leave Tarbert at 10 am and make our way back to Glasgow. This drive takes around 2 and a half hours traffic depending.
Tour ends at 1 pm at 266 George Street, Glasgow.
- Times are dependent on local traffic conditions, and Slàinte Scotland cannot be held responsible for any delays.
- Slàinte Scotland cannot be held responsible for any site closures and suitable alternatives will be offered.
- Tours are capped at 8 people. If you have more than 8 people in your group, please contact us to check availability.
- Each tour day lasts roughly 7-8 hours
- This tour is suitable for those with mobility restrictions but some historical and scenic locations might not be.
- Tour is confirmed on a 50% deposit and the remainder needs to be paid up to one month prior to the tour.
- Accommodation IS included in the tour price. We would need to know how you would like the room to be organised and the type of accommodation required ie double room / twin room / ensuite required / hostel accommodation / bed and breakfast and so on. Please add your requirements to the comments section when booking.
- You will be transported in a clean and comfortable vehicle with air conditioning
What to Bring
- A copy of your confirmation email
- A light rain jacket
- Please bring comfortable outdoor weather clothing suitable for walking
Tour Departs from 266 George Street Glasgow.
Please see following map:
Slàinte Scotland Tours
Slainte Scotland / Clyde Coast Tourism Ltd
74 Davaar Road